A tooth extraction is performed when a tooth can no longer be saved using another treatment. Also, a tooth or teeth may need to be extracted as part of another procedure, such as teeth straightening. In the field of dentistry, tooth extraction is one of the most fundamental procedures.
Common Situations that Require Tooth Extraction
- Severely cracked or damaged teeth
- Severe decay and infection
- Controlling advanced gum disease
- Risk of infection caused by other health issues
- Crowding of the mouth and orthodontic necessities
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Financial considerations
Before the procedure, your dentist will first examine your teeth, gums and mouth to determine a suitable treatment plan for you. This will be discussed, and you will be given some recommendations to consider.
What to Expect During Tooth Extraction
- Sedation or local anaesthetic will be used so you will feel relaxed throughout the procedure.
- Once the area has become numb, the dentist will proceed to remove the tooth using a pair of forceps.
- If the tooth is too difficult to extract, a small incision will be made in the gums or the tooth might have to be broken into pieces.
- Once the tooth has been extracted, a piece of gauze will be placed on the extraction site to allow clotting of the blood.
- Before you go home, your dentist will provide you with detailed home care instructions, which you need to follow closely to ensure that the wound heals quickly.
Should you encounter any problems following surgery, visit your dentist right away for an emergency check up. At Glenroy Dental Group, we will take any necessary steps to guarantee your health and safety.
At The Glenroy Dental Group, you are one step away from having the smile you always wanted. Your trusted Glenroy dentist will give you a fully informed idea of all your treatment options, costs, and durations.
Book online or call to find out more about The Glenroy Dental Group cosmetic dentistry offers.
Our Special Offers
We are pleased to offer you an enticing discount on some of our wonderful treatments and services. To find out more visit our special offers page or contact The Glenroy Dental Group now at (03) 9306 6511 or make an appointment online.