The Glenroy Dental Group is proud to support the Australian Dental Association’s (ADA) Dental Health Week (6 to 12 August).
This is an outstanding initiative to promote oral health and raise awareness on the general importance of oral health.
There is a theme each year, and this year’s theme is “Watch Your Mouth”.
Its intent is to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brush teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste
- Clean in-between teeth once a day (with floss or interdental brushes)
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
- Regularly visit the dentist for check-ups and preventive treatment.
Why are these messages important? Take a look at the following statistics:
- 65% of Australians haven’t seen a dentist in the last two years
- About 50% of Australians only brush once-a-day
- Nearly 40% never floss or clean-in-between their teeth
- Just over 73% of young people (14-18 years) consume too much sugar.
Let’s see what the ADA has to say about each message.
Brush teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste
The ADA wants all Australians to know exactly how to brush their teeth:
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes, twice a day.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush with a small head and flexible neck.
- Teeth should be cleaned systematically, starting at the back with the toothbrush bristle at the gum line on a 45° angle, brushing gently in a circular motion.
- If you scrub too hard from side to side, you can cause your gums to recede, and damage your tooth enamel. Choose a toothpaste with fluoride (NOT for infants and young children) and replace your toothbrush every 3 months.
If you have limited dexterity, a powered toothbrush may be a good option since it does a lot of the brushing for you.
Spit after brushing, don’t rinse– this is so the fluoride in your toothpaste works longer and protects your teeth better. Remember, fluoride strengthens teeth, making them more resistant to attacks from sugar and acid, thereby fighting decay. Fluoride can also help remineralise (heal or reverse) early decay.
Clean in-between teeth once a day (with floss or interdental brushes)
Flossing is a key part of your oral hygiene habits:
- Floss at least once a day
- Ask your dentist to demonstrate the correct flossing technique
- Ask your dentist if interdental aids will complement your flossing
- Your children should floss as soon as they have two teeth that touch
Just as in brushing, technique is important to flossing. The ADA suggests:
- Wind approximately 45 cm of floss around your middle fingers and grip it tightly between your thumbs and index fingers.
- Keeping the thumb and index close together, gently (to avoid trauma) guide the floss between the teeth. Use a side-to-side motion to ensure the sides of both teeth are cleaned equally.
- To clean the base of the tooth, curl the floss around it and insert gently under the gum.
If you have problems flossing due to mobility or coordination issues, the The Glenroy Dental Group can suggest alternatives such as oral irrigators, floss threaders, and other oral tools that can help.
Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
The foods you choose, how often, and when you eat them can affect your general health and the health of your teeth and gums. Too many sugar-drinks and snacks can lead to tooth decay.
The ADA suggests:
- Limit sugar consumption. Sugar is the single biggest culprit in tooth decay.
- Fluoridated tap water is your best drink choice.
- Read the ingredients panel on food products as many have hidden sugars.
- Choose teeth friendly foods such as cheese, nuts and vegetables.
- Avoid snacking and grazing.
Learn more about sugar and your oral health here
Regularly visit The Glenroy Dental Group for check-ups and preventive treatment
To help our community, during Dental Health Week, The Glenroy Dental Group is offering the following promotions (some terms and conditions apply), and we offer similar promotions throughout the year:
- Special Offer for New Patients – Exam, Scale & Clean $99.
- ZIPMONEY MEDIPLAN. zipMoney allows you to spread the cost of your treatment with flexible interest-free payments on your own terms.
- SAME DAY EMERGENCY – Same day dental emergency
- FREE CONSULTATION – FREE Consultation for Dental Implants and Teeth Whitening.
The Glenroy Dental Group and You
At The Glenroy Dental Group, your health and happiness, and that of your loved ones, are our primary goals. We use the most modern technology available and take advantage of the latest dental techniques to ensure that your dental health and appearance are at the highest level. We want you to receive the best possible dental care with no pain or anxiety!
Our offices are conveniently located in the Pascoe Vale Road shopping strip, Glenroy, with plenty of parking space, we are located within easy walking distance of the Glenroy train station.
Call (03) 9306 6511 or visit us at 2/830 Pascoe Vale Road in Glenroy.