A crown is a tooth shaped cap that fits over a problem tooth to improve its strength, size, and appearance. It is ideal for protecting a cracked, broken tooth or covering up tooth discolorations. Crowns can be a great solution for improving your smile and bite.
You might need a crown if you have any of the following circumstances:
- A damaged or missing filling
- A decayed tooth that needs protection
- A dental implant that needs a “cap” to create a functioning tooth
- A broken tooth that needs restoration
- A dental bridge that needs to be held in place
- Crowns look great! A dentist can design and build a crown that will match your other teeth. The color, shape, and size of a crown can be adjusted so that a crown can give you back your beautiful smile.
- Crowns are relatively inexpensive, compared to other treatments that address some of the same dental problems.
- Crowns act like your natural teeth. They are strong and permanent and so they can be treated like your natural teeth. You can bite and chew without any worry!
- Crowns can be used to treat some unusually large cavities that otherwise would need to undergo a root canal.
- Crowns are long-lasting. A crown normally lasts from five to ten years and some can last even longer.
- A crown “gives back” a tooth’s original strength and function. Crowns also protect weak teeth and prevent the need for their extraction.
- Crowns are always there for you! Because they are fixed in your mouth, they do not move around. Some dental appliances can move, drop out, or be lost, but once crowns are in place? They stay there!
DENTAL CROWNS STUDY:
“The up to 25-Year Survival and Clinical Performance of 2,340 High Gold-Based Metal-Ceramic Single Crowns”
This study tracked the success rate of 2,340 crowns installed by one specialist.
It showed that at 10 years, the success rate was 97% (2,270 crowns that lasted over a decade).
At 25 years, the success rate was 85%.
That’s 1,989 out of 2,340 crowns that lasted over 25 years.
- Source: International Journal of Prosthodontics . 2013, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p151-160. 10p. 2 Color Photographs, 4 Charts, 6 Graphs.
- Author(s): Walton, Terry R.
- Reference Link: To access the article click here
Our Special Offers
We are pleased to offer you an enticing discount on some of our wonderful treatments and services. To find out more visit our special offers page or contact The Glenroy Dental Group now at (03) 9306 6511 or make an appointment online.