This year Children’s Week runs from 21–29 October. Children’s Week is an annual event celebrated in Australia during the fourth week in October, which seeks to focus the attention of the wider community on children, their needs, and achievements.
In support of Children’s Week, The Glenroy Dental Group is highlighting the importance of teaching your children good dental habits while they are still young.
The Glenroy Dental Group wants Australians to know that the foundation for healthy permanent teeth in children and teenagers is laid during the first years of life. Poor diet, poor habits of food intake, and inadequate toothbrushing habits during the first 2 years of life have been shown in several studies to be related to tooth decay in children.
Helping Your Children Learn Good Dental Habits
The key to developing good dental care habits early in life is making dental care enjoyable for your children. Here are some tips on how to help your kids develop good dental care habits in a fun way:
- Don’t make their dental hygiene routine seem like another chore. Avoid over-instruction and let them have some fun while doing it.
- Spice up their daily cleanings by presenting them with new toothbrushesin their favorite colors or ones that feature their favorite characters. Take them shopping and let them make decisions about their toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Choose “tasty” toothpaste – avoid minty toothpastes, which many children find to strong.
- Try playing a song(or part of a song) while they brush their teeth and teach them to stop only when it is over. This is fun, and they will be more likely to brush for an adequate length of time.
- Teach your children to brush their teeth immediately after eating candy or drinking sodas.
In addition, demonstrate your own healthy dental care habits to set a positive example for your children. Make sure they see you flossing and brushing your teeth regularly so they will be inspired to develop the same good habits. Children are imitative by nature, and if they see your good dental habits, it will help them develop their own.
The Importance of Visiting The Glenroy Dental Group
At The Glenroy Dental Group we provide you with a list of good habits you can help your child develop through constant practice.
We also help you create a healthy diet that promotes healthy teeth in young children.
Don’t wait for your child to come to you complaining of a toothache. Schedule visits to your dentist even before the first tooth breaks through their gum line.
By scheduling regular visits at an early age, you establish a routine that will ensure your child grows up with healthy teeth and a healthy smile. Doing this also helps children understand that they don’t have to be afraid of the dentist.
Your Goals Are Our Goals When It Comes To Your Child’s Dental Health
At The Glenroy Dental Group every child is special. We help parents and children deal with the following:
- How to properly care for their own teeth
- Realignment of crooked teeth
- Proper care and treatment of sore teeth
- Reducing, repairing or dealing with tooth decay
- Dealing with tartar buildup before it becomes a major problem
- Creation of personalized programs for a child’s teeth
Children’s Dentistry at Golden Square Dental
At The Glenroy Dental Group, we make sure your child has a positive experience every time they visit. We strive to make it fun for them, in order to encourage them to keep coming back.
We provide a safe environment for your children to be in. We also make sure they leave with a better understanding of why it is important for them to take good care of their teeth.
We provide information on proper teeth care and maintenance, including brushing to flossing, to both children and parents alike.
Finally, we bulk bill for young patients eligible for the Child Dental Benefit Schedule, which provides basic dental services to qualifying children. CDBS services provide $1,000 over two consecutive calendar years
Your Trusted Family Dentist in Glenroy
If you have a child in need of treatment, or any other dental issues, do not hesitate to call us at The Glenroy Dental Group on (03) 9306 6511.
Visit us today and take advantage of CDBS (Child Dental Benefits Schedule) and receive up to $1,000 worth of basic dental treatments over 2 calendar years.
The Glenroy Dental Group is open from Monday to Saturday to cater to all your dental needs.